Saturday 1 April 2017

Rusty Book.



Here we are, the first of April! Another topic from Country View Crafts.......Rust! Yummy.

Just love this topic and had so much fun playing.

I decided to decorate the cover of a small 4X4 Watercolour pad. As you can see, the objects are a little random. I cut the buckles from a holder of a Throw that I bought at christmas, I knew that I wouldn't fasten it back up in it!
There is a car that was stranded in our sandpit, a metal Finnabair flower, and a few buttons. 
I secured them down with some Prima Heavy Body Gel and left them to dry.


In order to help the rust to adhere to the objects, I brushed over them lightly with Matte Medium. While still wet, I sprinkled on my rusting powder and sprayed with vinegar. 
I sprayed them several times until they dried with the desired finish.
To complete my book cover I added some words from TH Idea-ology Chitchat.


I also rusted some ribbon to tie onto the spirals.


I am really pleased with how my cover turned out. If you would like some more rusty ideas, then please visit the Country View Crafts blog and maybe enter the challenge to be in with a chance of winning the £20 to spend in the CVC shop.





19 comments:

  1. This looks awesome hazel. I love the technique you used and the result is fabulous. Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous eclectic mix of elements and fabulous finish with the rusting powder - you've inspired me to get mine out. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fabulous how all these objects took to the rust! The cover looks brilliant and I would never have thought of upcycling the belt or the car! Food for thought...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant Hazel, not just how it turned out, but that you thought of this in the first place! Have a fun weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous rust Hazel. I love how you have shown that you can create a rusted effect on so many surfaces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project, Hazel! I love your randomly chosen objects! And your rust looks amazing on them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic rusty project! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the very first sneak peek I was hooked! What a fantastic rusty cover, Hazel - brilliantly random and so cool.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hazel, this is absolutely brilliant!! Love all the pieces you added and the rust ist gorgeous.
    xxx Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow!! That's so fabulous Hazel!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, fabulous rusting!! Some of the best I have seen in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is just fantastic - what amazing results you achieved with your rusting powder, and I love the items you chose to decorate the journal - they look so good together. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great rusted cover..I love the car..that really made me chuckle! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cover is AMAZING, Hazel! I love the buckle and the car! These things look like they've been sitting out in my garage for months! Such a cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Hazel! I truly love this. Every element is perfect together and the rust treatment is AMAZING! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is so COOL!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a clever composition - Love it!!

    ReplyDelete