Wednesday 10 January 2018

Joseph Roulin



The second of my studies about Vincent was his oil painting of his friend Joseph Roulin. This is his painting above.
A scary project to try as there is so much detail and so much to go wrong.
Under the guidance of Jeanne Oliver I had a go, and was surprisingly pleased with my efforts. 


I began by making a sketch in charcoal.


Next, I white gessoed over the whole thing and then added some umber acrylic paint both on Joseph and for the background.


Next the green background and touches here and there.


Worked on the face and beard and began to create the wallpaper.


And my finished piece. I have learned loads about mixing his colours and layering for depth. Enjoying a great course and I am going to do more work inspired by Vincent. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow, absolutely brilliant!!! It looks fantastic Hazel, you are so talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a masterpiece Hazel, you captured so much detail, I love your step by step progression, it's super to see how you have created him. I hope you will be showing us more of your studies.
    Thank you for sharing. Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is superb Hazel - it sounds like a really fab course (I just had to go and visit your previous post to find out more - another fabulous piece of work too). I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to see you back creating and blogging, Hazel, and my word what a return! This is a stunning recreation - a fantastic way to learn and grow as an artist, by following the masters.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete