Monday 1 August 2016

Vintage Journey Monochrome.

I really am on catchup this month after a lovely week away. I love the stimulation of the "A Vintage Journey" blog and wanted to add my contribution.

I worked in my "Girls Annual", it has wonderfully thick pages and I like to include the picture that is on the page too.


I began by lightly gessoing over the written part of the page and then added lots of different papers and a few bits of lace and hessian. Also some DecoArt crackle paste through a Dinky stencil.


I then added a wash of Paperartsy Snowflake fresco paint and built up layers of white sprays, distress sprays and Infusions Limoncello. Lots of dabbing ensued.
I added some more texture with texture beads and some white pearls.
I wrote in White pen in the available spaces and finished off with a motto....and a few encouraging words.

This piece reminds of school when I used to compete in the Reading Competition. It entailed learning a poem and reciting it in front of the class, then the year, then the school. I always got to the final but never in the top three, but I tried really hard. My Derbyshire accent failed to impress the judges by the side of several plummier tones. Happy Days, even though you don't really appreciate them at the time.
I am entering this into the Vintage Journey Challenge.








4 comments:

  1. Fabulous pages Hazel! I love the neutral shades which are always a hit with me along with all the texture......very tactile and very gorgeous pages!

    Your reminiscences of the poetry reading competition took me back too. Not that I ever took part because my legs would never have got me on that stage but my best friend (coincidentally her name was Hazel, lol) allowed herself to be 'persuaded'into taking part one year by our English teacher. We had never seen one of these comps before so had no idea what was expected and no advice was given. Sitting in the audience watching other age groups poor Hazel got more and more nervous and I for her. Poor girl got through the first few lines and dried up! I still get the stomach knots when I think about it just like I did back then but bless her she pulled herself together, started again and got through it. True bravery in my eyes!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this page!!! So vintage and delicate and these crackles are awesome!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant use of your pages Hazel love how you incorporated the book images into them xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous delicate neutrals and so much fabulous texture. I love the illustration coming through from the pages beneath.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete