Sunday 29 July 2018

Girl with sculpted hair



Having been influenced recently by the very talented artist Emma Petitt, I embarked upon my third portrait using her ideas.

I mostly use reference when I draw a face, unlike Emma and found a girl in a Sunday Supplement.
I began by prepping my background and drawing the girl with Derwent charcoal pencils.


The picture is quite large, 20"x16".
I used PaperArtsy Fresco chalk paints throughout. Also PA Grungepaste .
As you can see, there are some collaged additions too.

The next stage really scared me, as I had never painted dark skin tones before.
It got worse before it got better, and I did wrestle with the paints before I was happy.
I actually used a metallic paint on parts of the skin.....Copper!
I finished off with lots of drippage and some treasure gold on the numbers and around the frame of the picture.
I saw lots of bits that I would have liked to improve, but, I love her now!


2 comments:

  1. An amazing painting!
    Happy August!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful - and the background paintwork is gorgeous too.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete